Medical & Dental Benefits
The University of Windsor provides health care and dental coverage for all full-time Faculty, Sessional Lecturers and Librarians through Green Shield Canada. This benefit is paid for by the University of Windsor and managed through Human Resources.
Each full time faculty member, sessional lecturer and librarian receives a Green Shield identity card which is used for medical, dental, prescription or other services. There is an annual deduction fee for prescriptions: $10 per individual per year, or $20 per family, which is deducted at the pharmacy and payable at the time of deduction.
Health Care Plan Coverage
Health Care benefits are effective with your date of employment. Green Shield offers single or family coverage. The coverage includes:
- Audio hearing aids ($2,250 every five years), and hearing tests to a maximum of $75 every five (5) years.
- Chiropodist & Podiatric coverage up to $500/yr
- Chiropractic coverage $800/yr
- Foot orthotics, wigs with medical treatment-related hair loss, and medically-necessary prosthesis
- Massage Therapy $1,000/yr
- Out of Province/Country coverage, emergency/referral up to 180 days
- Physiotherapist $900/yr
- Private duty nursing coverage up to $40,000 per year
- Psychologist 100% of scheduled fee for 24 visits annually
- Prescription Drugs ($2 deductible)
- Speech therapist or speech pathologist to a maximum of $1,000 per calendar year
- Semi-private hospitalization
- Vision ($500 every 24 months; $500 effective July 1, 2021) & routine annual eye exams to max. of $75 per examination
Dental Plan Coverage
Dental Plan benefits are effective with your date of employment. Green Shield provides single or family coverage.
- 80% for Basic services, 80% for Comprehensive basic services, and 80% for Major services
- 50% for Orthodontic services ($3,000 per individual per lifetime maximum)
- Checkups and cleaning every 9 months
- Dental services may be subject to limitations.
Click Here to view the complete Green Shield benefit booklet for faculty and librarians.
If you are eligible for a Green Shield card but have not received one, contact Human Resources at ext. 2049. For claims, eligibility, lost cards or general information regarding your health or dental benefits, contact: Green Shield Customer Service Centre Toll Free 1.888.711.1119 8:30 AM – 7:30 PM EST (Monday through Friday). Windsor calls can be made locally at (519) 739-1133. You may also contact Green Shield Customer Service via the web at www.greenshield.ca
Vision Care discount:
All Green Shield Canada plan members are eligible to receive a discount of up to 33% off the regular prices available at The Bay Optical. This offer also applies to all extra coatings and upgrades (excludes disposable contact lenses). Present your Green Shield Identification Card as proof of being a Green Shield Canada plan member. The vision provider will apply the appropriate discount(s) to your claim and submit the claim directly to Green Shield for payment; you pay for any balance not covered under your vision benefit. A complete listing of participating Bay Optical stores is available at www.greenshield.ca.